Saturday, December 18, 2010

12/15/2010 Field Camp Training at McMurdo (2nd Day)


 On the second day of the field camp training, I tried to step on the top of the trench roof to find that it was sturdy enough to support my weight.


















We practiced how to handle a worst-case scenario that we might possibly face while in Antarctica. Our first scenario was our plane crashed and burned so we had to evacuate the plane. There was one casualty (that was me!!! with one leg broken) and what we were able to remove from the plane was one survival gear and one HF radio. While others were working on making a snow wall, installing a tent, and trying to send an emergency signal via the HF radio, I had to lie down on the snow all the way...

 The HF radio we learned how to use was PRC-1099, which reminded me of PRC-77 that I used to use while I served as a signal corpsman in the military. It had a very similar package although 1099 is more upgraded version than 77. It was pretty useful and interesting class for me.






The next scenario was that one of our team members got stranded outside in the Condition 3 weather. The Antarctic Station here classifies the weather condition into three levels, Condition 1 being normal and Condition 3 being the most severe. In Condition 3, often times, we can't even see our own hands because of snow blowing around you, which could make you completely disoriented not being able to see anything in front of you. We simulated this condition by putting a white plastic bucket over our head and walking outside on the snow relying on a rope tied to each other in an attempt to find the missing person. It may look funny but I don't even want to think of me being in the situation!


 

1 comment:

  1. wow!This is weird...I watched the documentary on TV about this particular training at Antarctica about a year ago, now I am watching my husband doing it.

    ReplyDelete